The answer is Yes! Our doctors are skilled at providing that first checkup for young children. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry strongly encourages parents to bring their children in for their first dental visit by age 1.
Surprised? National studies have shown that childhood cavities are increasing in preschool-aged children. More than 1 in 4 children in the US have had at least one cavity by age 4. Many children get cavities as young as age 2. Early childhood cavities can have a detrimental impact on overall health and a child’s primary teeth.
What can a parent do to prevent early childhood cavities? The 1 year dental visit lets parents discuss:
- Their child’s risk of developing cavities
- Proper management their child’s diet
- Teething and milestones of development
- The proper use of fluoride and toothpaste
- Ways to prevent accidents that could cause injury to the face and teeth
While taking a 1 year old to the dentist may seem traumatic, we provide a comfortable environment for both the parent and children of all ages.
Source: American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry